John Corcoran is a recovering attorney, and a writer, author, father of four, and a former Clinton White House Writer and Speechwriter to the Governor of California. Throughout his career, John has worked in Hollywood, the heart of Silicon Valley, and ran his own boutique law firm in the San Francisco Bay Area catering to small business owners and entrepreneurs.
He is the author of three books about relationship building and client acquisition and has written for Forbes, Entrepreneur, Business Insider, Lifehacker, The San Francisco Chronicle, and basically anywhere else that will let him. He has been the host of the Smart Business Revolution podcast since 2012, through which he has interviewed hundreds of CEOs, founders, authors and entrepreneurs, from Peter Diamandis and Adam Grant to Gary Vaynerchuk and Marie Forleo.
- A podcast is more than just content marketing. Podcasting helps you create relationships.
- Authors can use podcasts to attract more clients, be seen as the respected leader in your field, connect with influencers, create content for your next book, or deliver content from your current book.
- Creating a “Dream 100” list helps you be deliberate about the people you want to build relationships with.
- Relationships used to be a product of coincidence – people in your company or people you went to college with. Now you can have control over who you meet so you can grow your network.
- The biggest mistakes authors can make with podcasts is NOT starting sooner. They spend more time thinking about buying mic instead of deciding which people to invite to be a guest.
- A podcast breaks through the noise of marketing because you start the relationship by giving, not by taking.
- You can build relationships with successful people because they want to be on podcasts.